• Welcome to FitnessForums
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cybex Choke / inductor various "Q" models
Hello Everybody,

I'm new to this forum. I signed up looking for help, and hoping I may have some useful information that I can share. For several years now I have been trying my best to get a Cybex Q25 ci and a Q20 ci working to my satisfaction. They are solidly built machines made when Cybex was headquartered in Woodinville Washington, around mid to late 1990's. Maybe I am a bit crazy this way but I feel these machines should be able to do everything they were able to do when they were built, excepting mechanical wear and breakdown. I also have the luxury of being retired and persistent as the two years will attest.

I will tell you what I am asking of these machines. I want to be able to do an hour or more (1 1/2 at most) of walking at from 1 MPH to 2.5 MPH. I am 64 years old and weigh between 175 and 185 pounds. My pace isn't the most uniform as I broke my hip in the middle of my attempts to force these machines to accept me as their master. They will do it too! However the chokes (some call them Inductors) on both machines overheat within 20 minutes. Half an hour with a strong 6 inch blower duct right on the choke coils. I have changed every bearing in the machines. 2 motor and 4 roller in each. I flipped the decks and inspected the walking belts. One belt is very good the other perfect. Waxing the decks and belt bottoms. The current draw without load is 2 amps at 2 MPH and 15 to 18 amps pulling me. Too much I know. I don't blow breakers and I do have a circuit dedicated to only the treadmill, everything within current electrical code and no extension cords. I have managed to find both owners and service manuals though they show little of technical detail electrically. I bring my own little bit rusty but quite valid electronic and mechanical experience to the table and can find no problems.

I am looking for another choke, for these machines. I already have three but a fourth will allow me to create one large choke with the same electrical specifications as the one original but 4 times the surface area for cooling and 4 times the mass to slow down the overheating. These chokes are huge at 10 pounds each and about the size of a cube 5 inches on a side.

For my part I have copies of the manuals, pictures and measurements of parts ect. and if I can get one machine working then parts from the second machine will become available. I am quite happy to share what I have learned and Information I have with anyone who may have a use for it.

Messages In This Thread
Cybex Choke / inductor various "Q" models - by oldandintheway - 03-27-2015, 10:28 PM